Through a variety of programs, Minnesota Fringe works with 1,000+ artists each year to create adventurous performing arts experiences featuring an array of genres, and supporting the development of new, adventurous work.
- We have pivoted our flagship festival to become an online offering during a global pandemic. Artists can participate in the Virtual Festival in one of two ways: By submitting to be selected for a one-time live performance
during the Nightly Fringe -OR- feature your show on our Digital Hub where audience members who have
purchased a Fringe Button may view your content.
- Our cornerstone program, anyone can apply to be a Fringe Festival artist and, if selected via lottery, are guaranteed a spot. Shows whose lottery number is not selected are placed on a waiting list in case selected performers drop out.
|List of Lottery Players by Company||List of Companies by Lottery Number|
To ensure a wide range of artists can participate, we offer three producer funding opportunities to help tackle costs: our Fee Deferment Program, allowing artists to deduct their producer fee from their final box office payout (meaning $0 paid in advance); Festival Artist Grants and a Solo Festival Artist Grant, which cover up to $500 of producer fees in full, creating an opportunity for a limited number of artists to produce their show for a $0 fee. All initiatives are managed and selected by Fringe's Artist Committee, a volunteer group of artists who have participated in past Fringe programming.
Producers in the Fringe Festival are paid 65% of box office receipts based on seats filled during performances.
Additional Minnesota Fringe programs will be placed on a temporary hold as the organization reorganizes its staff to focus on the festival sustainability.
Drafts & Draughts
- Drafts & Draughts is Fringe's multidisciplinary scratch night, featuring 4-6 snippets of staged new work. Presenting works-in-progress
in a casual atmosphere provides artists with a supportive audience. Artists work with Fringe staff to design and receive feedback on the
specific questions needed to push their work further. Drafts & Draughts runs the gamut, featuring theatre, dance, improv, storytelling,
spoken word, magic, and more.
Beyond the Box
- Beyond the Box incubates 4 artists in two intentionally paired teams of mentor/mentee, each crafting their own 15-30 minute performance
to take place at the new Theater In The Round Amphitheater on Nicollet Mall.
- Fringe Presents is Fringe's annual curated offering around a unifying theme or concept. There is no application process, but artist are welcome to submit their work samples or proposals via firstname.lastname@example.org from September to May annually. (Submissions are not accepted or considered during summer months due to the high volume of producing demands during this time period.)